Well, which is it? Good Golfer or Bad Golfer? Depends on who shows up. One thing is certain, though. I love the game of golf. 'Nuf said.

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Day 4, Ardglass Golf Club. Driving to Londonderry.

July 20th..
Ardglass sits right on the water well above the coast. The Clubhouse is a former castle that has been renovated. I almost had to duck in the entranceway leading to the toilets... and I'm a tall 5'4". Quit laughing.

Went off at 11:40 as a Single following a 4-ball. Told them not to worry. I didn't mind because from what I could see, the course was not as flat as St. Andrews and I wasn't about to set any speed records.

#1 was uphill to a green set in a bowl. The course flattened out at the top. Sorta... except for about 4-5 holes. The hike from #11 (real near the shore) to #12 (back at the top) was brutal. I'd say #12 was the most impressive hole. Par 3 down towards the shore. #14 to #17 was all climbing.. not bad, but a steady climb. #18 was all downhill back to the clubhouse. Kept up with the 4-ball all day although never felt rushed or upset with pace of play.. finished in 4:15.

Beautiful day. No rain. A strong breeze, though.

Ardglass has some stunning views of the village of Ardglass and the coast along the Irish Sea. See http://www.ardglassgolf.com/.

I liked Ardglass. A lot. Small fast greens. I had chosen it because it was reasonably close to Dublin, was on my way North and highly recommended. I also recommend Ardglass. Neat golf course.

After a snack/Dinner, I started my trek North towards Londonderry. Ballyliffin beckoned for Day 5.

Did I say GPS was a saver? It is if you follow it and don't miss a turn as I did in downtown Belfast. It kept "recalculating". I finally got on the Expressway west towards Londonderry. Almost 30 minutes lost.

I stopped to refuel and (apparently) pressed the wrong button. Returned to the petrol station 2x and (finally) got sorted out. Another 20 minutes lost. Then, sat in traffic in a town (where?) because of an accident. Another 20 minutes or so lost.

Finally got to the B&B in Londonderry (Groarty House) after almost 4 hours of driving. The Groarty House is in the middle of the farming country outside of Londonderry. Very nice owners. Quiet.

Next - Ballyliffin.

No comments: