Well, which is it? Good Golfer or Bad Golfer? Depends on who shows up. One thing is certain, though. I love the game of golf. 'Nuf said.

Monday, July 18, 2011

Day 2, St. Andrews

July 18th..
Couldn't really sleep even though I crashed early and hard. Awake at at 3am... got up and headed to the Old Course to see if I could get a chance to play.

My Hotel is literally a 2-minute walk away. When I got there at 3:45am, I was #3 in the queue. The 1st player got there 10 minutes earlier, the 2nd player 5 minutes. Another player showed up about 20-25 minutes later.. then more.

St. Andrews posts the Daily Sheet on a screen display at the Caddie Pavilion. The sheet showed 2 available slots at 6:40 and 1 at 6:50. The next available slots were at 8:30 (2), 8:40 (1) and 8:50 (1). I was in!!!! I figured 6:50am.

Then, the 6:40 2-ball did *not* show. Unbelievable. The first four of us (singles) went out as a 4-ball.

Two of us got a caddy, two did not. Let me tell you right now. Spring for a caddy. Drink cheap beer for a week, but *get a caddie*.

I won't bore you with my round, but I played quite good except for 3 holes. One word of advice. Stay OUT of the bunkers. Your only shot may be backwards. Yes. I did that once. Plus 2 times going sideways.. only 4-5 yards out. :)

The day started quite nice.. cool, but pleasant. On the 6th hole someone, may have been me, said something about the weather and how it wouldn't be a bad thing if it turned nasty. We didn't come here to sit in the pub (except afterwards!). Then, then rain started. Not a hard rain, though.. just steady.. with a litte wind. Woohoo!

I had a great caddie (Phil). Very personable and supportive. I would have struggled without him.. some of the lines of play were simply unbelievable... as in, "You want me to go where??" Trust the caddie.

As we left the tee on #18 (after a great drive), Phil asked me if I had a camera so I could have my picture taken on The Swilican Bridge. Yes, I said! After he took my picture, I asked him to join me.. I truly believe he was honored.

Now, the neat thing.. great drive and great shot onto the #18 green. Phil simply said.. "Here's your putter. Enjoy the walk. You've earned it." (FYI. I 3-putted! 3-putted!!!!! Could be there were quite a few tourists standing behind #18.. not that the 1st putt was woefully short. Yeah. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.)

The Old Course is truly an experience. So much so, I may go out again tomorrow before I leave for Dublin and 7 days in Ireland. I could play here every day.

Until tomorrow.. keep it in the short grass. It is a lot more fun.

No comments: